Apply for this Posting
The Collections and Exhibition Intern will assist our curator and collections manager with maintaining exhibitions and objects in our collection, as well as upkeep of documentation and database entries. Currently we are undergoing renovation of museum exhibitions so interns will be assisting in exhibition installation, and experiencing each step from designing to creating and finally installing each component for a brand new state of the art cultural museum.
The Collections Manager, Amy Johnson, will introduce interns to the basics of collections management, including maintenance, proper handling of objects, proper storage of objects, integrated pest management, ambient conditions, documentation, safety and security of objects and tracking of the collection objects. This will also include all relevant documentation and computer database entries. Interns will be encouraged to initiate projects, ask questions and provide feedback.
The Curator, Deborah Jojola, will train interns about the steps one needs to take to develop an exhibition. This will include a brief overview and hands-on experience of exhibition development and design, budgets, timelines, exhibition installation and de-installation. Interns will be trained on how to properly handle objects, install objects, keep track of objects, work with a given exhibit space, create exhibition storylines and sketch exhibition outlines. Interns will be encouraged to initiate projects, ask questions, work with other exhibition team members and provide feedback.
Specific Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Assist in creating storage mounts for pottery, jewelry and other items
- Applying basics of collection management information taught by IPCC’s Collections Manager.
- Assist in cleaning the storage areas, and exhibition cases.
- Create documents for museum maintenance
- Maintain collections documentation and database.
- Assist with exhibition installation and de-installation, including proper handling of objects, shipping/mailing of objects, tracking of objects
- Intern will assist with exhibition development and timelines
- Interns are trained to be Cultural ambassadors for the 19 Pubelos in NM, and are expected to assist with exhibition tours as needed.